Tuesday 2 July 2013

Swamp Bases: How To

I'll begin with a disclaimer: the paint scheme is my own work that I tested on several spare bases, the flock though was applied using the techniques explained in this video by "misterjustin". So, on with the tutorial.

First up, I cleaned up the bases, removing the small amount of flash from the edges, then washed them in cool soapy water. This is standard for resin. then, to be sure, I sprayed them with a light dusting of purity seal  from GW. This prevents any remaining release agent from damaging the paintjob.


I primed them black with a spray. It was only a light dusting, to get something down so I could basecoat it properly.



The basecoat is Castellan Green.




I then dry brushed on the old GW Scorched Brown. I have since replaced it with Doombull Brown. I made sure to leave plenty of green in the recesses though.





I washed the whole bases with Athonian Camoshade. This darkened them and tinted them greenish.
Finally I drybrushed the brown on again to bring it out a bit more. This is a matter of preference depending on how dark and how brown you want your bases to be.



The final stage was to paint the trees on the bases. I wanted them muted, so you'd know what they were but they wouldn't take over the base or the model. I painted them with Rhinox Hide, drybrushed them with Tyrant Skull and finally washed them with Agrax Earthshade.




In terms of flock, I did the test model's one as they are done in the video above... more or less. 
First off I made some tufts of field grass, cutting them to the right height and dipping the ends in PVA glue. I then cut the glued ends flat, leaving some glue at the base of the tuft, and attached it to the base with superglue. I attached the clump foliage (underbrush) around the tree, again with superglue. i then mixed the fine earth with PVA glue to make "moss" and "painted" this onto the tree stump. Lastly, I put some silicone sealant around the model's feet and then added water effects.
So, please tell me what you think.

2 comments:

  1. That is outstanding! Great tutorial, man - I especially love how the moss turned out, that's excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I appreciate the feedback

    ReplyDelete